Note :- The cloze/Closet tests available on EnglishKendra, have been prepared from recent articles of newspapers(The Hindu, The Indian Express etc) , magazines and books. So, chances of similar cloze tests being asked in different SSC (CGL, CPO, CHSL) are quite high.
We have provided an excellent solution as well,to help you understand better.
Hope the post serves you!
🔘Before solving the cloze test let’s take a look at the right approach to solve it in no time at all.
💯 CLICK HERE FOR THE HINDU PHRASAL VERBS COMPILATION
CLICK HERE TO ATTEMPT THE CLOZE TEST 3(with detailed solution and handy tips)
💠CLOZE TEST 2
Like any other country, plastic waste management is a _(1)_ issue in India, especially with the _(2)_ growth of consumerism throughout the nation. Interestingly, almost 60 per cent of the total plastic waste generated in India gets recycled while the remaining _(3)_ the environment. However, most of this plastic is down-cycled. At this juncture, India needs _(4)_ and stringent waste management tools to _(5)_ improve the situation.
1) Choose the most appropriate word among the given options to fill the blank numbered _1_
2) Choose the most appropriate word among the given options to fill the blank numbered _2_
3) Choose the most appropriate word among the given options to fill the blank numbered _3_
a) went into
b) escapes into
c) thrown into
d) soak in
4) Choose the most appropriate among from the given options to fill the blank numbered _4_
THEME – Plastic waste management: A pressing issue
Writer shows that plastic waste management is a pressing issue and connects it with the unending growth of consumerism. Then he shows that 60% of the plastic waste is recycled. he uses a contradicting connector ‘however’ to bring the term ‘downcycle'(to convert waste materials into new materials or product of lower quality) in the context.Then he further says that India needs a robust waste management tools to improve the situation.
1) ‘Pressing’ is the most suitable word that fits in the context here.
2) ‘unceasing’ fits in the context the most. It means continuing indefinitely without stopping.
3) Here you may be a bit confused because of the phrasal verbs used in the options. But if you take a close look, you will realise that the word that fits in the sentence should be in v5 form and ‘escapes into’ is the only option given in v5 mode.
4) ‘robust’ fits in the context the most. It means strong. Here you have go with elimination method.
5) Here if we take a close look at the sentence, we will realise that we need an adverb to fill the blank.
‘Subtly’ and ‘substantially’ are the two adverbs among the given options. One would eliminate ‘subtly’ if he/she knows the meaning. Now we have our answer, that is ‘substantially’.
Subtly – with cleverness rather than brute force.
Substantially – considerably
💯 Click here for the most important questions from Active & Passive Voice
text-decoration: underline !important;
Hope this post serves you.Have a great time ahead.